Sunday, June 29, 2008
1) Panamanian artist and old friend(we go back 30 plus years) Rogelio Mitchel, LACMA's head of Music Program Mitch Glickman and myself.
2) Eddie and the crew, the most important friends an artist have during a performance,
3) Backstage waiting to go on.
LACMA was wonderful. a beautiful setting, on a beautiful CA summer day, with a great crowd!
Monday, June 23, 2008
Today, Saturday, June 28, from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM, we will be performing at LACMA( Los Angeles County Art Museum). The concert will take place at the Dorothy Collins Brown Amphitheater at LACMA, in Hancock Park north of the Hammer Building.
It is a free concert.
Jonathan Dane: Trumpet
Brad Dutz: Marimba and hand percussion
Tom Etchart: Bass
George Friedenthal: Piano
Luis Muñoz: drums and percussion
Narciso Sotomayor: Guitar
For more information call LACMA's Music Department at 323 857-6115.
Saturday, June 21, 2008
I just finished listening for the first time in many years,to a masterpiece, "Native Dancer", the incredible collaboration between two masters of contemporary music: Brazilian singer/songwriter Milton Nascimento and probably the best Jazz composer/saxophonist alive today, Wayne Shorter, both performing at their very best. After more than 30 years the music sounds as fresh as if it had been recorded yesterday. Sonically, conceptually and compositionally, it does not get any better than this. Herbie Hancock, Airto, David Amaro and Wagner Tizo also participate. One of my "25 Best Recordings " of all time.
This Wednesday, June 25, I will be going to the Santa Barbara County Bowl to hear two great artists live in concert: Robert Plant and Allison Krauss. If you haven't heard their collaborative CD, go get it. Highly recommended! L.
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Here is a list of some of the shows we'll be doing this summer in California:
1) On Saturday, June 28, from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM, we will be performing at LACMA( Los Angeles County Art Museum). The concert will take place at the Dorothy Collins Brown Amphitheater at LACMA, in Hancock Park north of the Hammer Building.
It is a free concert. For more infoirmation call LACMA's Music Department at 323 857-6115.
2) On Thursday, August 14, at 8:00 PM. we will be at Soho, in Santa Barbara. Soho Music Club is located at 1221 State Street, Suite 205, Santa Barbara, CA 93101. For reservations:805-962-7776. www.sohosb.com
3) On Friday, August 22 and Saturday, August 23, we will be performing at the Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles, the premier Jazz venue in Southern California ( 3233 HELMS AVE, Los Angeles, CA 90034. Phone:310-271-9039). There will be two shows nightly: 8 PM & 9:30 PM. Tickets: $25 ($13 for students 21 and under).
4) On Friday, August 29, from 5:00 to 8:00 PM, we'll be playing at the Santa Barbara Courthouse Sunken Gardens, as part of the Courthouse Jazz Series. The open venue and free admission will provide the entire community an opportunity to enjoy Santa Barbara’s beautiful surroundings while listening to great music and supporting Santa Barbara’s vital non-profit’s and charities. Please, check in later on for more info on those performances, and on other upcoming shows. Cheers! Luis.
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Introducing my new buddy "tux", who keeps me company at all times while trying to finish composing the music for my next CD. The background beat is a collaboration with my song Adam, done with his MPC. Tux got a little scared at the end...:)